It’s that time of year again! With spring around the corner and the weather (fingers crossed) warming up, Simplay3 is ready to sow some seeds. Starting a garden can be a daunting task, so we’ve done the guess work for you this year. Here’s our top tips for starting your garden in Northeast Ohio:
- Consult the Farmer’s Almanac - here at Simplay3 we believe in the wisdom of the ages. The Farmer’s Almanac has been trusted by agriculturalists since 1792 so we feel pretty good about their suggestions. Check out their planting calendar for the best time to plant the top 30 vegetables and fruits.
- If you don’t have the fertile ground or space, contact your local community garden. It’s a great way to not only have dedicated garden space but to meet other garden enthusiasts in your area.
- Involve the whole family from the get go. A garden is a great way to teach your family about where their food comes from as well as other lifelong lessons. It can even encourage your kids (and even other adults) to try new foods.
- If this is your first garden, start with something easy. Squash, beans and carrots grow quickly with minimal effort.
- Start with a plan and have all of your seeds, dirt and supplies ready. Simplay3’s Easy Haul Wheelbarrow can help make execution of that plan seemless with its lightweight design and maneuverability.
- Prep your garden space! In Northeast Ohio we have a lot of clay soil. To help make the ground more manageable for a successful yield, add coarse sand, compost and peat moss.
- Lastly, have fun! A family garden is a great way to spend quality time together, so get outside and start making memories.
Make sure to share your garden with us on Facebook and let us know of any tips you've found work.